Attending a conference for the first time can be a daunting experience, with unfamiliar faces, unfamiliar session formats, and perhaps an overwhelming number of suppliers to learn about.
That’s why the Government Fleet Expo & Conference (GFX), the largest gathering of public fleet managers in the nation, developed a First Timers’ Orientation for first-time attendees to talk to conference organizers, plan out their schedules, and meet with other first timers.
Additionally, here are five tips for those new to GFX from Mark Stevens, fleet manager for the City of Sacramento, who attended GFX for the first time in 2018 and is a 2019 advisory board member:
- Review the schedule to understand what topics are being discussed and focus on attending breakout sessions
- Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself by attending sessions that you are familiar with, to see how other agencies operate
- Challenge yourself and attend sessions you believe may not be attainable for your operation, such as sustainability. You might be surprised how establishing goals in a different direction may reduce your operating costs
- Ask questions, and not just at sessions. There is no other organization where professionals exchange ideas and information as freely and willingly as the government fleet profession.
- Have fun! Meet other professionals and exchange ideas and contact information. You never know when you might need someone else's expertise.
Plan out your conference experience and connect with other attendees at GFX’s First Timers’ Orientation, which takes place on Monday, June 17 at 9 a.m.