Enhanced drivability, advanced over-the-air update capabilities, and an eased upfit process are among the updates on the 2025 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (PIU).
Order banks are now open for the 2025 model year Ford Police Interceptor Utility.
This latest iteration of Ford's police SUV builds on Ford’s 70-plus-year history of providing police vehicles for more than 12,000 law enforcement agencies across the country.
What's New on the 2025 Police Interceptor Utility Vehicle
Manual Police Pursuit Mode, which is offered in addition to Automatic Pursuit Mode already available in previous models, enhances drivability and power delivery in situations between regular driving and intense pursuits, such as passing through tight traffic in congested areas.
The 2025 model year Ford PIU has a bigger center display with better imagery, graphics, and advanced over-the-air update capabilities over the previous model year.
Additionally, the Ford Pro Upfit Integration System (UIS) is now available on the PIU model. It simplifies the upfitting process while enabling added functionality and smart vehicle programming.
The vehicle also has the same front-end build, including the grille, so police agencies can avoid extra expenses when transitioning front-end upfitting content to new vehicles as they decommission older models.
Safety and Productivity Come Standard
The following Ford PIU officer safety and productivity features come standard on the vehicle:
- Police Perimeter Alert: Detects moving threats around a vehicle to give officers better situational awareness while they complete tasks inside the vehicle, such as filling out reports. When the system detects a moving threat, it automatically activates the rear camera, sounds a chime, rolls up any lowered windows, and locks the doors. The alerted officer can then monitor the situation.
- Police Engine Idle: Secures the vehicle but keeps vital systems and equipment running with anti-theft keyless engine idling when officers must exit vehicles quickly.
- Police Dark Car: When officers need to remain undetected, such as during a stakeout, the Police Dark Car helps by turning off all interior lights in the vehicle except the drive console, which is dimmed. Courtesy lamps are also disabled when any door is opened.
- Additional Driver Assist Technology: Features such as the automatic emergency braking system, BLIS (Blind Spot Monitoring with Cross-traffic Alert), reverse sensing and cross-traffic brake assist now come standard and updated. Technology additions, such as a new radar on the fascia, enhance the emergency braking system and improve driver assist performance.
What's Under the Hood
The 2025 Ford Police Interceptor Utility will be offered with three different engine options:
- 3.3L V6 gas engine with AWD. This engine also features a 10-Speed Automatic transmission, 285 horsepower and 260 lbs. ft. of torque.
- 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine with AWD. This engine comes with a 10-Speed Automatic transmission, generates 400 hp and 415 lbs. ft. of torque.
- 3.3L V6 Direct-Injection Hybrid Engine System with AWD. This engine is paired with a 10-Speed Automatic transmission. It delivers 318 hp and 322 lb.-ft. of torque.
A Ford spokesperson previously told Government Fleet that to meet the demand for the Ford Police Interceptor Utility hybrid and other Ford hybrid vehicles, other Explorer models will not have a hybrid offering.