January 11, 2022
Testing EVs for Police Fleets
🎙 Government Fleet Executive Editor Thi Dao sits down with Lieutenant Mike McCarthy of the Michigan State Police Precision Driving Unit to talk about testing electric vehicles for police fleets.
🗣 Topics discussed:
- The vehicle testing program.
- Biggest takeaways from the 2021 vehicle testing.
- Does the Ford Mach-E work as a police vehicle?
- How big of a factor are ergonomics and ease of installation when choosing a police vehicle?
- Are EVs the future of police vehicles?
- Much more!
📰 Sign up for the Police Fleet newsletter!
🎥 Subscribe to the Government Fleet YouTube channel!
🎧 Prefer to listen? Subscribe to the GovCast podcast!
⏱ Timestamps ⏱
0:53 Overview of Mike, His Role, and the Precision Driving Unit
1:25 The Vehicle Testing Program
2:08 Mike’s Biggest Takeaway from Vehicle Testing This Year
2:54 Purchasing Criteria for New Vehicles
3:29 Driving the Mach-E as a Police Vehicle
4:07 How Police Agencies Should Use Driving Test Results
6:19 How Big of a Factor is Ergonomics and Ease of Installation?
7:33 EVs: The Future of Police Vehicles
9:08 How Much Battery is Used for Performance?
10:10 Highlights from This Year’s Testing