KANSAS CITY, MO – The American Public Works Association (APWA) recently named 10 public works professionals as 2008 Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year. Marking the 49th year of the award, the honor is among the most coveted presented by the Association.
“The Top 10 Public Works Leaders of the Year represent outstanding public works professionals from across the U.S. and Canada,” said Peter King, APWA executive director. “They are selected for their professionalism, expertise and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in their communities. Their career-long dedication and service is to be commended.”
Award recipients include:
· Christine Andersen, P.E., Airport director, City of Long Beach, Calif.
· Dwayne Kalynchuk, M.Eng., P.Eng., general manager of Environmental Services, Capital Regional District, Victoria, British Columbia.
· Harry Weed, superintendent of Public Works, Village of Rockville Centre, N.Y.
· Judith Mueller, a director of Public Works, City of Charlottesville, Va.
· Leslie Henley, P.E., F.ASCE, deputy director of Public Works, Clark County, Nev.
· Richard McKinley, Public Works director, City of Bellingham, Wash.
· Ronald Calkins, P.E., director of Public Works, City of Ventura, Calif.
· Samuel Lamerato, CPFP, Fleet Maintenance superintendent, City of Troy, Mich.
· Scott Elmer, P.E., director of Public Works and city engineer, Missouri City, Texas.
· Steven Parkinson, P.E., Public Works director, City of Portsmouth, N.H.
Each 10 Ten Public Works Leader will be recognized at a local event and during an awards ceremony as part of APWA’s International Congress and Exposition in New Orleans, Aug. 17-20. To see the Top 10 recipients from 1960 to 2005, go to APWA’s National Awards Program Web page at: www.apwa.net/About/awards.asp?Display=top10list.
For more information about individual awards presentations, contact Becky Wickstrom at email@example.com.