Though its monitoring of tens of thousands of drivers, DriveCam powered by Lytx has noted a trend in the most dangerous driving practices that lead to collision. Here are a few tips for drivers about slowing down and paying attention to not only what’s happening on the road, but driver actions as well. These tips came directly from Lytx’s 2014 “Driver of the Year and Coach of the Year” Award winners.
- Take your time. Don’t hurry to beat another vehicle through an intersection. It will only save a few seconds of travel time and may result in a serious incident, which will result in so much more damage than just being late.
- Many drivers live close to where they work. Keep this in mind when you are driving: “This is my community and these are my neighbors.” It will help you view safe driving from a different perspective.
- One of the most common offenses is following too closely. Take your foot off the accelerator and give the vehicle in front of you more room.
- Watch for hidden obstacles, such as motorcycles and pedestrians. They are often where you least expect them.
- Have a safety mantra. Many of the safest drivers have a saying that they repeat to themselves often while driving. For example: “The goal is to get home safely to my family.” Repeating that mantra helps you stay focused.
- Be safer in your own personal vehicle as well. Transfer these professional driving tips to your personal time behind the wheel.