United Auto Workers at all 38 GM and Stellantis parts distribution facilities across 20 states walked off the job on Friday, September 22 after failing to make substantial progress in its negotiations with the two automakers.
According to a UAW update, Ford did make significant movement this week at the table, so the union did not expand the strike against them. However, UAW Local 900 members at Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne will continue their strike.
The Associated Press reported that President Joe Biden will go to Michigan on Tuesday to support the union, according to a person familiar with his plans.
UAW President Shawn Fain said GM and Stellantis have rejected the union’s proposals for cost-of-living increases, profit sharing, and job security.
The AP reported that GM noted it has presented five “historic” offers covering wages and job security.
Stellantis said it made “a very competitive offer” Thursday that would pay all current full-time hourly employees between $80,000 and $96,000 within four years and seven months, and would allow “workforce stability” during that time. According to the AP, the company said the UAW has not responded.
As a result of this move, car dealers may run out of parts, which could impact consumers, as well as fleets.
The UAW said the new walkouts will affect 5,600 workers. That's in addition to the nearly 13,000 who began strikes last week at three Ford, GM, and Stellantis assembly plants. According to the UAW, those original strikes will continue.