Its off-road capabilities, ample storage opportunities, and configurability to meet each department’s needs are factors Chevrolet believes will entice police departments to look into purchasing a 2023 Chevrolet Silverado Police Pursuit Vehicle (PPV). The crew-cab, short-bed, four-wheel-drive truck is designed for reaching high speeds in comfort.
Although the OEM won’t have true demand numbers until it starts accepting orders later this spring, interest in the vehicle has been high, according to Daniel Tigges, commercial product and sales support manager.
When asked why Chevrolet decided to produce the truck, Tigges said, “The Silverado PPV is a great solution for law enforcement agencies. We are constantly listening to our customers, so we knew they were looking for a PPV with true truck capability — from going off-road to the unique storage options only a truck can provide.”
An available 2-inch lift takes things to a new level for agencies requiring maximum approach angle and ground clearance. Chevrolet’s engineering team was dedicated to developing an off-road-capable vehicle without sacrificing the pursuit-rated performance.
When duties take the Silverado PPV off road, the truck comes standard with Rancho shocks (included with the Silverado’s Z71 off-road package), locking rear differential, and skid plate.
In terms of storage, the 5 ft., 8 in. truck bed can be upfitted with an available hard tri-fold tonneau cover that enables weatherproof storage for cargo that should be stowed separate from the interior cab for officer safety. It’s important for some departments to be able to store items that might produce airborne substances or a strong odor separate from the cabin area. This is advantageous to those working with narcotics, forensics, and fire gear.
Twelve standard welded tie-downs help officers secure items in the bed. Pairing those with the standard corner-step rear bumper and an optional multi-flex tailgate, officers can access cargo more easily.
For Marine units, towing capability is vital — that’s why the Silverado comes standard with a 9,300-lb. max towing capacity.
“It’s a no-compromises truck ready to help law enforcement get where they need to with all their gear,” Tigges explained.
2023 Silverado PPV Stats
- Horsepower: 355
- Engine: 5.3L V-8
- Transmission: 10-speed automatic
- Brakes: Six-piston Brembo brake front calipers with 16-in. rotors
- Towing Capacity: 9,300 lbs.
- Turning Radius: 46.9 ft.
- Ground Clearance: 11.3 in. (with 2 in. suspension lift)
- Front Approach Angle: 25.9 degrees (with 2 in. suspension lift)
- Bed Size: 5 ft., 8 in.
Want to Upfit? No Problem
The 2023 Silverado PPV is ready to be customized to each police department’s individual specifications. Here are a few available specialty equipment options Chevrolet offers to make upfitting easy:
- Auxiliary wiring circuits for easy installation of wiring to connect the truck’s horn and siren.
- A Surveillance Mode circuit that allows an upfitter to easily install lighting control. Once a third party installs the wiring, the circuit enables control over the truck’s exterior and interior lighting, allowing for discretion while on patrol.
- Five upfitter switches for simple linking to the controls used most frequently.
- Optional deletion of front center seat so departments can customize the cockpit of their vehicle to meet their needs.
- LED or halogen spot lamps.