SAN DIEGO - Bob Stanton, CPM, CPFP, director of fleet management for Hillsborough County, Fla., gave a presentation on 10 "game-changing" initiatives fleets can take to improve their credibility, fuel conservation efforts, shop productivity, cost control, and sustainability at GFX 2011 on June 7. These initiatives are:
- Modifying driver behavior to save on fuel costs.
- Using GPS and telematics to improve fuel efficiency and driver productivity.
- Comparing fleet costs with outside commercial outlets to validate the cost efficiency of performing preventive maintenance in-house.
- Identifying underutilized vehicles to reduce fleet size.
- Using an online technician training tool such as CDX.
- Making the shop a small or zero quantity greenhouse gas generator.
- Insourcing initiatives such as selling fuel, insourcing repair, and leasing vehicles).
- Selling surplus items on Craigslist.
- Implementing incentives-based performance initiatives.
- Preparing a technician recruiting DVD.