As 2023 comes to a close, we're looking back on news stories and articles we've covered here at Government Fleet. From new vehicle news, to vehicle redesigns, to transitioning patrol vehicles to electric vehicles - GF covered all sides of the police fleet industry.
Here's a look at the top 10 news stories and articles on police fleets (as of Dec. 25, 2023).
1. How Kansas Highway Patrol Justifies 50,000-Mile Vehicle Lifecycles
In a day and age where fleet vehicle lifecycles are often strained by both budgetary cuts and supply chain issues, the Kansas Highway Patrol has been able to maintain its long-standing 50,000 mile vehicle lifecycle.
2. Michigan State Police Updates Iconic Beacon Lighting
The bright red bubble light is an iconic symbol for Michigan State Police. In 2023, the light got a makeover.
3. NYPD Unveils Redesigned Patrol Vehicles
Police cars in New York City are some of the most recognizable ones in the nation. In early 2023, the agency announced a complete redesign of its iconic vehicle.
4. Pursuit-Rated Vehicles: More than just Police Chases
Over the last several years, many law enforcement agencies have done away with pursuits. So why buy a pursuit-rated vehicle?
5. NYPD’s Finest: Lessons Learned Managing the Nation’s Largest Police Fleet
Robert Martinez retired in late 2022 after decades working with the New York City Police Department. Over the years, he overcame challenges, was responsible for introducing new technology to the vehicles, and stepped up when help was needed.
6. Six Things to Consider When Buying New Police Vehicle Models
Looking to change your current patrol vehicle make and model? There are some things you should consider.
7. Donated Ford F-150 Lightning Pro SSV One of the First on the Road
As OEMs have rolled out electrified police vehicles over the last few years, they've created a lot of buzz. In July, a donated Ford F-150 Lighting Pro SSV became one of the first put into service.
8. EV Patrol Vehicle Transition: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
We won't sugarcoat it: electrifying a patrol fleet is not easy. One early adopter shared the challenges his agency has run into in its electrification journey, and how to overcome those challenges.
9. The Value in Updating Police Vehicle Designs
Redesigning your police vehicles doesn't only help modernize them; it can also lead to a myriad of other benefits.
10. A Peek at the New Chevy Blazer EV Police Pursuit Package
As the nation's first pursuit-rated EV, a lot of people are curious to see how the 2024 Chevy Blazer EV PPV will perform, and what it has to offer.
What stories stuck out to you this year? Is there anything GF missed that you'd like to see covered in the world of police fleets? Keep the conversation going! Comment below and let us know.