Safety & Accident

State/Federal Assistance Available to Eligible Gov’t Agencies & Private Nonprofits

March 29, 2010 - Press Release

WASHINGTON - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides supplemental Federal disaster grant assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities and the facilities of certain eligible Private Non-Profit (PNP) organizations. This program also encourages protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process.

On March 8, 2010 President Obama signed a Major Disaster Declaration for Public Assistance due to the Severe Winter Storms, Flooding, Debris and Mud Flows that affected California from January 17 to February 6, 2010. This declaration makes funding available to state and local government agencies and certain non-profit organizations on a cost sharing basis in Calaveras, Imperial, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Siskiyou counties for eligible recovery projects.

Private Non-Profit organizations or institutions that own or operate facilities that are open to the general public and that provide certain services otherwise performed by a government agency, may be eligible for assistance. Services include:

  • Education. Colleges and universities; Parochial and other private schools.
  • Utility. Systems of energy, communication, water supply, sewage collection and treatment, or other similar public service facilities.
  • Emergency. Fire protection, ambulance, rescue, and similar emergency services.
  • Medical. Hospitals, outpatient facilities, rehabilitation facilities, or facilities for long-term care for mental or physical injury or disease.
  • Custodial Care. Homes for the elderly and similar facilities that provide institutional care for persons who require close supervision, but do not require day-to-day medical care.
  • Other Essential Services of a Governmental Nature. Museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, rehabilitation facilities, shelter workshops and facilities that provide health and safety services of a governmental nature.

Health and safety services are essential services that are commonly provided by all local governments and directly affect the health and safety of individuals. Low-income housing, alcohol and drug rehabilitation, programs for battered spouses, transportation to medical facilities, and food programs are examples of health services.

To apply for assistance the PNP must file a Request for Public Assistance (RPA), FF-90-49 and a PNP Facility Questionnaire FF 90-121 to FEMA through the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA). For information on the forms and a local contact person the PNP should call Cal EMA at 626-431-3290. Forms must be returned to FEMA by April 7, 2010.


Comment On This Story

Comment: (Maximum 10000 characters)  
Leave this field empty:
* Please note that every comment is moderated.


Fleet Management And Leasing

Jack Firriolo from Merchants will answer your questions and challenges

View All


Public Fleet Tracking And Telematics

Amin Amini from Verizon Connect will answer your questions and challenges

View All


Fuel Management

Bernie Kanavagh from WEX will answer your questions and challenges

View All


Recent Topics

I am looking for a used bucket truck for around $50k for our traffic division. The only stringent requirement is the 50' bucket work...

View Topic

Hi everyone! We've opened up voting for the 2018 Public Fleet Hall of Fame. Anyone registered on FleetShare can vote by April 10. It...

View Topic

Fleet Documents

1126 Fleet Documents (and counting) to Download!

Sponsored by

An abbreviation for natural gas vehicle.

Read more