The City and County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors has passed an ordinance that mandates the purchase of zero-emission passenger vehicles for the fleet. The ordinance requires that new passenger vehicles purchased must be ZEVs unless there is a waiver; requires that passenger vehicles must be ZEVs by Dec. 31, 2022; and encourages selection of ZEVs in other vehicle classes as technology improves.
The ordinance affects 400 passenger cars, the SF Examiner reported.
The ordinance allows for an exception for cars parked outside of city-owned lots, allowing them to be plug-in hybrids. At least 75% of automobiles parked in the city’s lots must be ZEVs by the 2022 deadline, while the other 25% can be plug-in hybrids, SFGate reported. New vehicles and charging stations are expected to cost up to $22 million.