LAS VEGAS – The fleet management technology company Zonar introduced what it says is the next generation tablet and software allowing commercial fleets to take greater control of their operations.
During a Saturday press conference before the start of the American Trucking Associations’’ Management Conference & Exhibition, Zonar officials said the device, called Connect, allows fleets to seamlessly enter the next era in fleet management technology using a smart fleet platform, claiming it is faster, more responsive, readily customizable and more user-friendly than current solutions in the commercial fleet marketplace. The device is described as a “ruggedized, high-performance and easy-to-use tablet,” providing management tools for commercial vehicle operations including compliance, safety and efficiency monitoring.
“We are entering an age in connected commercial vehicles where the capabilities go beyond the individual vehicle and extend to fleet management and industry decisions regarding job bidding, safety, efficiency and compliance,” said Ian McKerlich, president of Zonar. “Connect is designed to exceed industry needs with Electronic Logging Device (ELD) readiness, Electronic Verified Inspection Reporting (EVIR) and a growing number of apps built in a scalable environment to address needs further down the road."
Connect is always connected, whether it is docked or undocked, representing a significant milestone in smart fleet management, according to Zonar. For example, a driver can submit a completed EVIR inspection back to dispatch without returning to the cab of the truck. The tablet-based platform further connects vehicles, driver/operators and fleet managers with critical information such as vehicle health, efficiency, driver hours of service, performance, data capture, compliance, safety and asset utilization.
“Just as smartphones have become an integral part of our daily lives, you soon won’t be able to run your fleet operations efficiently without a smart fleet technology like Connect,” said Brett Brinton, co-founder and CEO of Zonar. “Connect will help operators manage their fleets more effectively as technology changes with hardware that supports over-the-air updates to give them greater flexibility and scalability to grow.”
According to Zonar, Connect has combined the ease of use of everyday consumer devices with the power and ruggedization needed for commercial vehicles. With it, drivers and operators can streamline daily tasks, such as pre- and post-trip inspections; hours of service logging with Roadside View for compliance inspections; communicating with fleet management; documenting deliveries and navigating routes The tablet also equips drivers and operators with tools to help meet safety and compliance regulations.
Connect’s key features include:
- Powered by a Quad-Core processor, 2GB of built-in memory and 32GB of storage for enhanced speed and responsiveness
- Scalable Android platform supports options for third-party and custom Zonar apps to increase driver productivity and fleet compliance
- Compliant with Automatic On-Board Recording Device (AOBRD) and Hours of Service regulations
- Ready for the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate with capability for over-the-air software update service
- LTE, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity keeps drivers connected to fleet managers, dispatch and operations
- Constructed with a ruggedized hardware design and a Corning Gorilla Glass screen to endure harsh conditions
- Seamlessly integrates with Zonar’s Ground Traffic Control web portal and third-party programs including maintenance, payroll, navigation, workforce management software and more.
Originally posted on Trucking Info