Volta, an electric vehicle (EV) charging network powering vehicles and commerce, has announced the launch of PredictEV Fleet, the second product within its suite of machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) solutions for infrastructure planning, with a multi-year commitment from Southern Company, the second-largest utility company in the United States.
Volta’s PredictEV product suite is used by multiple government agencies, utilities, municipalities, and more to inform intelligent EV infrastructure expansion and investment.
“Nearly one in every five vehicles in the U.S. is owned by a company, making fleet electrification an important business opportunity and a critical component to a carbon-free transportation future for all,” Drew Bennett, Executive Vice President of Network Operations at Volta, said. “Our fleet product enables data-driven electrification planning for both fleet operators and the utilities that serve them to ensure strategies are future-proof and efficient.”
Using advanced AI and analytics, PredictEV Fleet analyzes data on existing vehicle fleets and premises and provides customers with critical insights to build fleet electrification plans, including:
- A range of recommended EVs to replace internal combustion engine vehicles with similar specifications;
- Optimal Volta-provided or other EV supply equipment to serve the fleet’s charging needs;
- Estimated costs and savings with a calculation of total cost of ownership;
- Integration of applicable rebates and incentives, such as federal, state, and utility programs offered by Georgia Power and other Southern Company-owned utilities;
- Carbon mitigation by shifting to EVs.
Additionally, the product establishes data-sharing relationships between fleets and utilities to inform the grid strategies required to support the increased demand for electricity.
In 2020, Southern Company announced an internal fleet electrification goal to convert 50% of its electric companies’ light-duty vehicles and equipment to electric by 2030.
Originally posted on Work Truck Online