WASHINGTON – The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) released a report on the U.S. federal fleet that found that although the fleet has grown 7% between 2005 and 2011, this growth masks decreases in several federal agencies. One-third of the 24 agencies, those with the largest number of vehicles, covered in the report reduced their fleet size by 2% during this period.
Two fleets, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) increased their fleet’s size by 5% and 49%, respectively. The U.S. Air Force and Department of the Interior, on the other hand, reduced fleet size by 7% and 9%, respectively.
One notable finding in the GAO report is that eight federal agencies accounted for nearly 80% of total vehicles owned by the federal government, while 35 other agencies had the remaining 20%.